I got the Thing out of the shop and started a good wash job. The poor car is filthy. It has not been washed since it was in California almost two years ago.
The wheels are in very poor shape, rusted and flaking paint. Just to help the poor car out a bit I have ordered some plastic hub caps just to cover the wheels for the show. The right side rear door is slowly rusting away. It has a hole on the outside and the entire bottom is rusted through. This car has never been outside for the past 10 years and no water has been sitting in the door like most neglected vehicles. I can't explain it except that Rust Never Sleeps.
I made a list of the issues I need to work. It is not in order of priority. It is just a starting place for the huge amount of work this car needs. I will keep you posted.
1974 Thing Issues
· Wheels - Need stock wheels cleaned and powder coated
· Brakes – Bleed and adjust brakes, possible disc brakes in future
· Front right fender damaged
· Rear right fender damaged
· Rear right pontoon damaged – remove and repaint both pontoons
· Body damage on front right door
· Repair interior rust gash right rear seat area
· Running board missing
· Front bumper rusting – remove and repaint possible powder coat
· Rear bumper damaged – remove and replace with scooter carrier
· Stereo not working
· Paint in poor condition all over car
· Upholstery faded and poor condition
· Dash board paint needs to be all one color
· Engine oil leak
· Engine fuel plumbing needs improvement
· Engine oil cooler needed